The Magazine Art reviews Marks’ work in January 1897 at an exhibition of his work at 80 Aldersgate Street: “Going direct to nature, he skillfully transfers the blossoms of wild flowers to his graceful cups and other cups. The Art Journal reviews another exhibition of his work in the August of the same year at the the showrooms of Johnson, Walker & Tolhurst, a bowl very similar to the present lot is illustrated. His distinctive style of work received glowing reviews, his work “is exceedingly pleasant to the cultivated eye.”
In the initial period of collaboration with Johnson, Walker and Tolhurst, the objects bore their sponsor’s mark and had Marks’ fascimile signature. Gilbert Marks registered his own maker’s mark of ‘GM’ at Goldsmiths’ Hall in 1896 and he continues the practice of the fascimile. It is interesting that the association with J. W. And T. clearly continues as they are still holding exhibitions of the work. The earliest recorded piece bearing Marks’ signature dates from 1895/6 and the latest from 1902.
F. Miller, ‘Some Gold, Silver, and Coppersmiths,’ Art Journal, November 1896, p.347ff.
‘The Craft of the Silversmith’, The Artist, July 1898, p. 133ff.
‘Gilbert Marks: An Artist in Silver,’ The Magazine of Art, January 1897, p.158ff.
‘The Arts and Indutries of Today,’ Art Journal, August 1897, p251ff.
Obituary, The Burlington Magazine, Vol 7, no 27, June 1905, p.243ff.